Sturmgeschütze IV fuer 7.5 cm Sturmkanone 40 (L/48) (Sd.Kfz.167)
In February 1943 Krupp looked into mounting a Sturmgeschuetz superstructure on a Pz.Kpfw.IV chassis. Krupp reported that the result wasn't acceptable solution as there was no weight saved by dropping the turret. The same was true for the Sturmgeschuetz III, but in that case the superstructure allowed the fitting of a 7.5 cm gun which the dimentions of the turret ring on thePz.Kpfw.III chassis otherwise prevented. After Krupp's finding, the project was shelved.
In November 1943 Alkett was devasted by a bombing raid. In early December the decision was made to replace the lost Sturmgeschuetz production by mounting the current Sturmgeschuetz superstructure on the Pz.Kpfw.IV chassis. Alkett quickly adapted the superstructure design to the Pz.Kpfw.IV chassis.
The opening in the Pz.Kpfw.IV chassis is longer than the Pz.Kpfw.III. The Sturmgeschuetz III superstructure was mounted back at the Pz.Kpfw.IV firewall. The driver's compartment had to be moved forward and plates added to fill all the gaps.
After the air raid at Alkett, the production capacity at Krupp Grusonwerk was converted to Sturmgeschuetz IV with the first 30 completed in December 1943. Alkett began assembling Sturmgeschuetz IVs in January 1944.
Altogether 1141 Sturmgeschuetz IV were assembled between December 1943 and April 1945.
Modifications were introduced to the Sturmgeschuetz chassis as they were introduced to the Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.H and J chassis. Similarly modifications to the superstructure were introduced as they were introduced to the Sturmgeschuetz III series.
A series of the Sturmgeschuetz IV had a 30 mm plate set at a high angle in front of the driver's compartment; the design of the driver's hatch was simplified and an external travel lock was introduced.
Fgst.Nr. 89324-89382 & 100001-?
Most Sturmgeschuetz IV were issued as single companies to infantry divisions. There were a few exceptions including the 90th Panzergrenadier Division in Italy; Panzer Abteilung 8, 4th SS-Polizei Division and 5th SS Wiking Division in the East; and the 17th SS Gotz von Berlichingen in the West.
There are known two surviving examples of the Sturmgeschuetz IV, both in Poland.
One vehicle is in the Muzeum im. Orla Bialego, is a makeshift restoration using a Sturmgeschuetz IV hull and various parts from Sturmgeschuetz IIIs and Pz.Kpfw.IVs.
The other Sturmgeschuetz IV, is in the Museum of Armoured Weapons in Poznań, is complete and in running condition. It was pulled from a river in Poland in 2006. It is possible that this wreck belonged to the Brandenburg division, 9th or 10th company from Haupmann Spielvogel's 3rd battalion.
Below is YouTube footage of the restored Sturmgeschütz IV.